Tuesday, November 16, 2010

SUNDERBANS

Yesterday afternoon,when me and my friends were going through magazines in library. One of friend found this article "DEATH IN JUNGLE" (Geo, sept 2010)
                           This was about the life in mangrove swamps of sunderbans.Sunderban being the international natural heritage, is a place of great beauty and danger.Here tigers have adapted to human terrain, humans are not threat to them, in contrast they make a easy prey.
Only way of earning a living for the people here is to go into the forest, and collect honey to sell. The jungle which is full of tigers and other wild animals.
                            When they leave on their fishing boats from home..they do not know if they will come back or ever see their family again. Sadly, most of them dont.The only sign people get about the tiger being around is the cry of the deer. If they do face the tiger,they are advised not to run, but to stand still and try to scare it with the sound of the stick.
                       The very thought of standing still when you know that death is staring at you, bought shiver down my spine, and made me realise how lucky I am to have this life, were nor me or my family or friends have to risk lives to provide basic needs of family.
But, that is how life continues to be for them. A battle between life and death.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com