Monday, July 25, 2011

Translation # 2: Brotar


Today's translation is not a noun phrase like the one I learned last week, but a verb instead; it's the verb brotar that I learned today. It means "to sprout", "to bud", or "to spring [up]". 


I was reading a children's book to my co-worker this morning, as we were browsing through the used books at the school's library, those that were for sale. I recommended that she buy a children's textbook to improve her Portuguese (like I do to everyone) and I picked up one that had poems. 


One of the poems I found was a metaphor about love sprouting, such as a flower does in the spring. I realized that I had never seen the word brota (as it was written) and I asked my new (Brazilian) co-worker for the translation. The poem made more sense to me once I knew what the word meant.


Now I have another word to add to my dictionary of new Portuguese words. Thanks, Marta!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com