Saturday, February 26, 2011

Now It's My Turn!

       Due to the ridiculous response to my favorite album homework assignment I decided to give you my favs as a separate post. I'll jump right into it because it's the weekend and like most of you, if it's the weekend and it doesn't involve my friends, my lady, booze, or sports, I'm not really as into it as I could be.These are my 6 favorite records in no particular order. Here we go!

For me this is sort of where it all started. Cracked Rear View was one of the very first CDs I ever purchased with my own money that wasn't influenced by what my family or friends were listening to at the time. To this day I still have a soft spot for 90s pop and alt rock, and it all started right here. I always thought it was funny how in spite of their name, no one in the band was actually named Hootie. The band arbitrarally chose the name as a joke, and it just stuck. I still toss this one in from time to time and every song is still just as awesome as it was when I was a kid.
I am not in the business of over-glorifying a band just because one member dies. I like Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and Notorious BIG just fine, but it has nothing to do with them leaving this world ahead of schedule. Sublime's self titled debut is a complete record. It's original and it opened my eyes to the 'stoner music'(lacking better terminology because I'm a bit hung over). Without this one I probably never would have given 311, Dave Mathews, or Bob Marley the time of day. Thank God my friends did a lot of drugs when I was a teen...
OK OK! Before you get all up in arms, let me explain. When I was in 9th grade my friend Brad was on the Flip-Interscope Records street team. Remember how labels used to have to give kids T-shirts and name badges to go out and pimp their music before the internet started doing it for them? Brad gave me Three Dollar Bill Yall$ before I ever heard music with heavy guitars, screaming, or explicit lyrics. Now pretty much everything I truly enjoy has one of (if not all) of these elements.  If you don't at least like LBs cover of George Michaels 'Faith" then you have a problem with you and I can't fix it. Most people didn't hear about these guys until Significant Other came out, so it was my first chance to be a snobby music elitist. Plus, this one really pissed my Gram off, which made me love it even more!

I thought about having some measure of American classic in my list of all time favorites, but I would kind of be lying to myself. I like CCR and GNR and any other number of something-R's, but nothing compares to Fall Out Boy. I actually listened to these guys for the first time when I accidentally stumbled across them while yahoo searching (pre-google) something about Radioactive Man from the Simpsons. It was a total coincidence that I am eternally grateful for, FOB has been copied about a million times over but nobody has the vocal talent of Patrick Stump, the bands front man. I have had this CD forever and I still return to it often. Hell my screen name on AIM was FALLOUTTROX.. The album is called  'Take This To Your Grave' and I probably will.

"And the survey said: YER DEAD!" Most people are pretty surprised when I tell them that I listen to a lot of rap/hip hop. Most of it is older stuff because I believe that most of the new rap that comes out is either too watered down, fake, or it in my opinion trying to be the way rap used to be. I love Dr. Dre, Snoop, 2Pac, LL Cool J, and the list could go on and on, but Wu-tangs greatest hits is absolutely incomparable. Whether its RZA, GZA, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Inspectah Deck, U-God, Mastakilla, Ghostface, Raekwon, or Methodman, I will bump this record to my grandkids. Their beats are filthy and their rhymes are unparalleled. In short, "the Wu Tang clan ain't nuttin' to fuck wit!"
Last on my list, is Hit the Lights- This is a Stick Up...Don't Make It A Murder. For me this record represents an era. I guess I could have also repped this period with Say Anything, Saves the Day, Rx Bandits, Monty Are I, or Over It. They are all part of the same memories as this one. HtL is epic because it was the background music to some of the best nights of my life spent with some of the best people I'll ever know. Anytime I hear a track off of this one, I am taken to a time when things were a lot simpler but way more complicated at the same time. I had just lost my step mother, who was one of the best friends anyone ever had, and it sounds corny, but I believe a higher power saw what I needed to fill the void she left behind and He sent me a group of crazy kids who would become my greatest friends along with these amazing albums for us to jump around and have pop-punk parties to. Hit the Lights spoke to us directly. They were from Ohio, they liked to get wild, and they stuck together through thick and thin like brothers. The entire CD was practically an anthem to our good times. Sam, Tyler, Jake, Pat, Rut, Polar, Jewell, Dave, Wanger, and Jesse, if you haven't heard me say it, I love you all to death, and thanks for everything.
  
       That's all for now. I hope you guys had fun with it. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. If you want to get a jump on the competition, I'll go ahead and let you know that next weeks homework is a contest. I wanna see you naked! Let this link explain. The second annual Shower Beer extravaganza is approaching. Here's what you do..Send a pic of you or a beer or you with a beer in your shower! That's it. The person who submits the best pic get a $15 gift card to Chili's. If you don't like beer, showering, or Chili's then this contest might not be for you..Also, you're an idiot.

                                                             Warmest Regards,

                                                             Trox


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com