Saturday, July 30, 2011

Trying to play catch up - 18 days


E and I have been living in Brasilia for 18 days. I don't feel like I've really summed up what we've been doing these past 2 and a 1/2 weeks and so I'd like to play catch up. First off, I'd like to say that we are both happy here. E particularlly thinks that the city is beautiful and he really is enjoying being back in his home country. In fact, he said last night, while waiting in a looooong line at a rock concert, that he missed this - people having a good time, drinking in the parking lot, chatting with friends, just having fun. He said at the end of the night that the US is not fun (I do believe he meant in comparison, or at least it's a different kind of fun).

I'd say our first week here was predominantly settling in to our new apartment, unpacking, shopping, cleaning, and trying to orientate ourselves. I also visited the school a couple of times to talk to administration since they wanted to make sure we were comfortable and not lacking anything in our apartment. We also hung out with friends in Brasilia (one of which I had been introduced to by a friend I have in the States) and another is a childhood friend of E's who lives in Brasilia. We had lunch, drove around the city in the neighborhoods where they live, met their family members, and were given a friendly introduction to the city. In addition, my friend AP took us to the post office to make sure our CPFs (the equivalent to the SSN) were "regular" and that my maiden name was changed to my married name on mine. (I had gotten it years ago in Manaus when I was single). So we had to visit voting registration for E to pay a small fine for not having voted while living in the U.S. for 4 years. This constituted a lot of running around, but in the end it all got resolved (at a cheap price) and then AP treated us to a delicious afternoon meal.

Once the other two Americans arrived we had a short tour of some major attractions in Brasilia and then went to lunch with our executive director and we spent time with her. Our second week was then spent driving around to various places to make sure that we have registered with the federal police, that the other girls have their CPFs, that we have bank accounts, etc. We also had to have our medical exams for our health insurance (and that doctor was from Manaus - small world). We've filled out information for our dental plan as well. And finally, at the end of last week we had orientation and introductions to the school - just for the new teachers. We were given a tour of the school and the elementary school teachers were given their classrooms. The middle and high school are in the process of having new classrooms built, so I don't know yet where I'll be teaching, but it'll all be worked out. At least I have my schedule.

And this last week was the first week of school; it was the pedagogical week for teachers. It was full of meetings and introductions, delicious breakfasts and lunches, a time for us to collaborate (if just a bit), and I was able to look over my curriculum maps and plan out the first quarter for the three classes that I'll be teaching this year - 9th, 11th, and 12th grade. I'm very grateful to the English department for their assistance, especially to the other 11th/12th grade teacher, a friendly/knowledgeable Canadian, and my coordinator, a North American born/raised in Ecuardor and now living in Brazil. There are not just a number of nations representated in the students at my school, but in the staff as well. There are Brazilians, a Canadian, Ecuadorian, Cuban, Spanish, Americans, and probably more.

I was given lots of resources to help me start out the year - articles, a movie, lesson plans, a workbook, and textbooks. I'll need to do a lot of reading on my own this weekend and make sure that my plans are all set for the first week of school. I'd say I'm more nervous than excited. I'm just glad to have support from other teachers to make my transition smoother. If I were on my own I'd be in trouble...With that being said, my schools follows the North American curriculum so I'm not too much out of my element.

This is basically how my last 18 days have gone. But what I should throw in here is that it's not all been work. I've done city explorations on my own, with E, and with friends. I've watched famous MMA fighters train, E and I have eaten Brazilian food that we'd missed greatly, we've taken the bus and the metro with no problems, we've gone to a huge rock concert with bands from all over the country and the US, and we've still got a lot more to do. E has returned to school; he's taking a course that he is really enjoying a learning a lot at and is busy job searching, getting his transcripts from Manaus, and finding schools where he can continue with this studies.

I feel like we have just only begun our sightseeing. In fact, I have just made plans (that still need to be finalized) to travel to a neighboring state next weekend to "get out of town" and to see more of Brazil. As of today I've only been to 5 states - Rio Grande do Sul, Rio de Janeiro, Amazonas, Sao Paulo, and Distrito Federal. There are still 22 more states to visit, and I barely "know" Brasilia. I'm beyond excited about all that I will get to experience, see, feel, and taste while in this gorgeous country. So with that said, time for me to clean my apartment and head out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com