Friday, August 12, 2011

It's been a month...

I have been a resident of Brasilia for a month, today. I arrived on the 12th of July and even though it's only been about 30 days, I feel like I've been living here much longer. One of my American co-workers told me that time passes slowly here and that's exactly how I feel. I'd say that's a good thing. I feel like my afternoons are much longer, maybe it has to do with the fact that I waste  spend A LOT less time watching TV, or because it quickly gets dark by 6:30 p.m., or because I don't need to spend hours planning since I have more time during my work day to do so. Whatever the reason, I do feel like I've been living in Brasilia for 3 months, not 30 days.




I definitely feel like I'm living here, versus visiting or even just spending an extended amount of time here. For example, just yesterday two women approached us as we were walking away from our apartment building. They asked us where a "block" was and I answered confidently and gave (perfect) directions; it's an area I often visit and I was pleased that they understood perfectly where I was sending them off to. Then we went to "our" bakery and the cashier (who has been unfriendly before) joked around with us and even smiled. Feels more like home when you're comfortable in your surroundings, when people recognize you, and even more so when they can joke around with you.


I also have a routine which helps me assimilate easier, as well as a temporary ID, a bank account,  I've applied for my carteira de trabalho (or work papers/permit), E is back in school and has a job, and we have friends and plans for the weekend. All of this makes you feel more "at home". This is exactly what I wanted. Now let me be honest and say that not everything is perfect. I get annoyed with a lot and I get frustrated, but that happens with less frequency than when things go my way. I also try to ignore the negative and focus on the positive so that I will be grateful and feel confident with my decision to leave behind my life in the US to move to Brazil. 
So far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com