Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Accents, Languages, and Confusion



Me (answering the phone): Hello?


Man: ochkochbogoshvendochkoshcarbogsh


Me: Excuse me?


Man: something along the line of, are you selling your car? (but this time I understood the language of the man to be Portuguese) how many miles does it have? is the price negotiable?


So I mumbled a response along the lines of, talk to my husband because he's the Brazilian, I gave him the price and answered that yes the price is negotiable. Really I didn't want to talk to the potential buyer because E knows how to negotiate, I had company over, and because my company are Spanish speakers and I had just spent who-knows-how-long speaking Spanish. I can't then be forced to switch languages, can I? And plus, he had a strange Brazilian Portuguese accent. Maybe he's from the Northeast? I know I always need to get used to the accent of a Brazilian who is from a region that I am unfamiliar with.


Have you ever tried speaking Spanish and then need to switch like a light being turned on to speak Portuguese? It's not easy. 


I started studying Spanish as an exchange student Bolivia, right out of high school. I had studied Spanish in high school, but we all know that you don't learn to say much more than "Me llamo...."  and "Tengo xx anhos [I don't have the accent mark so I cannot write this correctly]". I became quite fluent after returning from Bolivia as I majored in the language and studied and worked abroad. But then I went to Brazil after college. That's when my language skills got all messed up. I initially used Spanish in Brazil when I wasn't supposed to; but hey, it was an easier language to fall back on because people generally understood me. My neighbor once told me that I sounded like a Hispanic; that was a better compliment that being told I sounded like a gringa when I spoke Portuguese.


Now that I'm fluent in Portuguese and speak it on a daily basis, my Spanish has really suffered. In fact, I have difficulty creating a sentence in Spanish without mixing in Portuguese words. Or should I say throwing in? Either way, I speak portunhol very well. And yet I still try to speak Spanish Monday - Friday as I have a few students from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic who either don't speak English almost at all, or at least don't with me. This has forced me to be more confident and try to separate the two languages in my mind, but it's not been a walk in the park. I have to think before I speak and try to slow - that's the part I dislike the most. I want to speak quickly like I do in English and Portuguese.


That brings me back to my conversation today. I tried so hard to speak Spanish to my visitors this afternoon that stopped by because I know that my friend feels more confident speaking Spanish. Plus, her mother-in-law is visiting from Venezuela and I know she understands a great deal of what I say in English, but does not speak it. They're so patient, kind, and understanding, but I feel like a mumbling fool sometimes as I try to get my brain to transfer from English to Portuguese to Spanish. 


God knows I spoke espaporinglish (a word a Colombian student of mine created as we used to speak a mixture of the 3 languages when we had get togethers with her family and Brazilians) to the my guests today and then spoke portunhol to the Brazilian on the phone. But I guess that's all part of being a trilingual. At least I can have fun with it sometimes. You gotta laugh at yourself once in awhile :).

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com