Friday, May 20, 2011

Travel. Travel. I love Travel.



I can't believe that I haven't devoted a post entirely to my amorous relationship with TRAVEL after all of these months of writing. Or have I? I've written so much about South America, and Brazil (of course!) in particular, but have I mentioned, apart from my introductory page, how addictive travel is for me and how I feel like I need it, like a junkie needs heroin? Well, maybe not that much. But I get cranky when I don't travel. That's a fact. I get stir crazy.


Now I guess it was the post I wrote the other day about the four cities E and I have lived in that made me want to continue talking about travel, and specifically about where E and I have been together. When we met - in Manaus - years ago, Mr. Bound for Brasilia was not the least bit interested in travel. Really. I mean, he travelled from his house to mine, from his school to mine, from my house to his family's sitio, and believe you me, as nice as those city buses are, they sure do take some time to arrive at their destination. However, we all know that's not the travel that I'm talking about.


The first trip that we ever took out of town together was to President Figueiredo, Amazonas and we visited this town just once, but it was unforgettable. I remember distinctly that it was during the World Cup in 2006 so there was a lot of football watching and drinking and relaxing. I had been to this municipality previously, but not with E. And for sure we had a good time swimming in the Rio Negro (a tributary of the Amazon River). 


The issue, though, that I have with posting pictures about my travels is that if you remember I've sold my scanner and am therefore unable to scan any of the pictures that I have from our trip. Along with that, most of my pictures are not stored on my laptop. I was going to "steal" from my husband's Facebook album of pictures that I took, but it won't let me do that. *pouts
But that's OK. I mean, what is Google for any way? 


For your viewing pleasure...


P.F., Amazonas

And then probably just a few weeks after that trip, we visited another small town in the state of Amazonas called Balbina. We went with friends on this trip and stayed at a cute hotel that was quiet and quaint. We visited waterfalls and went swimming in the cool Amazon River. I still have pictures from this mini vacation that I've saved in our first album. Of course I can't scan them, so I found this on-line to show off the town of Balbina.





....because once we moved to the U.S. we had a great time travelling and exploring. 

Our first real trip within the United States as a couple was to Miami Beach; I knew that E would love the beach, the nightlife, shops, and restaurants. I was right. We had a blast!


Miami Beach
Along with travelling around Florida (all over Central Florida, to St Augustine, and Miami), we've also driven and flown to New York a number of times. As I'm from upstate New York and my family continues to live there, I was able to show E the hospital where I was born, where I graduated high school and college. Since we'd met in Manaus and I'd experienced E's city, lived in his hometown, and met all of his family members, it was important that my husband see where I come from. 


In New York we've travelled from Buffalo to Long Island (basically, from the western most part of the state to the eastern most). We crossed the border to Niagara Falls a couple years ago to see the waterfalls and last summer spent an extended weekend in New York City and L.I. We'd actually been to NYC a couple of times previously together, even watching the ball drop one New Year's Eve.
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
E's favorite part of NYC

In addition to our trip to New York last summer, we also took a cruise to the Bahamas - to Nassau to be exact. It was literally the perfect vacation. We cruised, we swam, we drank, we relaxed on the boat and on the beach, and went snorkeling (one of our favorite outdoors activities). We can't wait to go again! Look at the amazing view of Nassau...


When I look back on our 6 years and 6 months together (anniversary today), the memories flood in, as well as our multiple trips and vacations as a couple. This makes me grateful and excited for more! ...oh yeah, and I hope I'm not forgetting anything or leaving any travel out.


Wait, how can I forget our trip to Louisville, Kentucky last summer for my sister's wedding! The weather was perfect, the bride gorgeous, the wedding was beautiful and the setting breathtaking. E and I visited the Louisville Slugger factory, the Mohammed Ali museum, Churchill Downs, and just spent valuable, priceless time with my family.


Churchill Downs - Kentucky Derby
And how could I forget our most recent trip? In December 2010 we visited Atlanta for an extended weekend. We went for my interviews with the international schools in South America, but we definitely took advantage of the time we had in Georgia and visited some great friends (both couples are Brazilian/American), went to the Coca-Cola Museum, and walked a little bit around downtown Atlanta...




Next month we'll be back in New York state and the following month we're heading back to Brazil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com