Sunday, May 22, 2011

Echoes and piles



I feel like I'm surrounded by emptiness and well, piles. Sounds like an oxymoron, right?  I'd have to say then that with the exception of a foot or two up from the ground in certain areas of my apartment, there's predominantly emptiness in my home. Emptiness in the sense that I have been successful at selling most of what I aimed to. And there are only 2 piles and they are neatly stacked. I had to take everything out of the closets and until we decide if we're taking just suitcases, or if we will take a box and we actually pack, on the floor the books and other documents will remain for now. Plus, with our drawers and tables and bookshelves sold, where else do we put everything?


That's what the piles are made up. And the echoes? All of my artwork off the walls, large furniture gone, and apartment emptying.


You know, as I pack and simultaneously watch the news about the destruction that floods, tornadoes, and earthquakes have done in my country and around the globe, I'm left to ponder over the importance of materialistic goods and belongings that have meaning and bring memories. For instance, my pictures. I just saw on the news the other day that a kind woman who has found a number of photos and other personal belongings of flood victims in the southern U.S. (Mississippi I think) has set up an account on Facebook to try and reunite people with their valuable items. I think that the actions of this woman are admirable and I know that people are grateful for her kindness.


Now I feel that my laptop is important to have with me as I move to Brazil, but is it more so than the stuffed bear that my great-grandmother knitted me? Or my baby pictures and the drawings that I made for my mom when I was in kindergarten? I personally don't think so.


I am just left to consider the importance of what we own - our possessions. People work hard to collect "toys" and other materials - cars, TVs, computers, video consoles, iPads, expensive clothes and watches - but why? I mean, unfortunately a hurricane, tornado, or earthquake can destroy it all in an instant. But what a natural disaster cannot take away from us is our education (although we can lose our diploma), our memories, and who we are as a person (though it may affect us greatly). Maybe this is why I'd rather spend time with family and friends and travel, then buy a diamond ring, a new car, or a large flat screen TV. Nevertheless, I do understand that not everyone agrees with me and I try not to pass judgment. I just don't think that what is tangible is always the most important. 


With this being said, I feel like I should say that I'm not planning on moving to Brazil to live in a wooden house with no TV and only a few pairs of clothes. I just don't think that our electronics, fancy sunglasses, and Nike shoes are really what count in life. Relationships, experiences, and happiness are essential. Now I need to make sure that I have packed up all of my memories aside to take with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com