Monday, May 23, 2011

Driving Miss Davis

Moving to a new country means selling your car. Or cars. The latter is our case. We have two automobiles that we need to get rid of - as in sell - before we move. We have made the decision to first sell my car since I'll be out of work in a few weeks and my school is located only 6 miles from our home. This works great for me because my husband takes me to work at picks me up. It's like having my own private chauffeur.


It actually works great because he can take me to work and then can go directly to school from there; he can then pick me up once he's finished teaching his class. I love it because when he picks me up after work the car is cool and I get door-to-door service. When I drive myself I have to get into a steaming hot car after work and then wait for the hot air to escape out the windows while the air conditioner is cooling down. That takes time and makes me cranky. I'm also not a morning person so I enjoy being able to sit back and relax while someone else drives.  PLUS, I can always use the "I gotta go my husband is picking me up" excuse to sneak out of work once the bell rings at the end of the day. Not a bad deal.


So.....if you live in the Orlando are and are looking to buy a used car in good condition, let me know :). I feel like we'll be even more ready to move once at least one of our cars is sold. These things can take time and with everything else we need to do to tie loose ends, whatever we do now to move is less that we have to do later. That's what I'm hoping for. No stress as we reach July. Only shopping and packing. Shopping. Now that sounds like fun.


I think it's good "practice" for us to share a car for the next couple months. I mean, we're not sure how our transportation will be in Brasilia. See, cars are really expensive in Brazil and at the same time I'd love to be a one-family car. I think we can easily make this work. We just have to maybe plan out who will drive when. I mean, unlike Florida, Brasilia has public transportation so if we can't both be in the car one of us can depend on another form of transportation. There are buses, a metro, and taxis. And my school will pay for my transportation to work so we don't need two cars. But we will need one. However, at this time we don't intend to jump into any car purchase. We'll get a feel for things and take our time with buying a car so we can be smart buyers.


Obviously having a driver would be ideal, even though I do enjoy the independence of having my own car. But it looks like I'll only have a driver for the next 3 weeks of school. I'll be sure to milk it while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com