Thursday, June 30, 2011

Montevideo, Uruguay

In the end of my freshman year/early sophomore year of college I made the easy decision to study abroad. There was never a doubt in my mind that I would not pursue this for a semester during my college years. Isn't that what hundreds of thousands of college students do each year? I have not done any research on this topic of college students studying abroad, by all means, but I'd imagine that it is quite popular throughout college campuses - in the United States. I had already had the opportunity to study abroad for a year as an exchange student in Cochabamba, Bolivia upon my graduation from high school. I loved it. I was hooked. I couldn't wait to do it again. My undergraduate university, SUNY Binghamton, has an Office for of International Programs and I knew that I could find a program for me. But I couldn't find the exact program that I was looking for - a semester in a Latin American country where I could study in Spanish. Now I can't remember exactly how I went about finding a university to help me get to my destination: somewhere in Latin America, but I did. I do know that I actually studied abroad through the Latin American Studies Southern Cone Program at SUNY Plattsburgh. Since both of these universities are in the same SUNY (State University of New York) system, it was easy for me to go through their program. I knew I wanted to study abroad, I knew I wanted to go to Latin America, and I knew that I wanted to go through SUNY (it was easier to transfer credits, deal with financial aid, etc.). So that's exactly what I did.  


I almost went to Chile. In fact that is where I had planned to go once I decided on the above stated program in the Southern Cone. So how did I end up in Montevideo? It turned out to be an easy choice. I knew something about Chile; Uruguay was unknown territory to me, much like Bolivia had been. My other option in this particular study abroad program would have been Argentina, but that is probably the most well known country in the Southern Cone of South America and being the adventurer that I am, that could not be an option for me. I wanted to go to a country that I knew nothing about. Again, that's exactly what I did. In the spring semester of my sophomore year, I went to study Anthropology and Spanish in the Spanish language in Montevideo for 6 months. I wasn't looking to learn Spanish because I already knew it; I was looking to improve and challenge myself.


One of the images that I distinctly remember that attracted me to Uruguay was the Casa Puebla in Punta Ballena (Punta del Este). Rest assured that I visited here. It truly is a breathtaking sight, especially at sunset. I'd say that this landmark attracted me to Uruguay much like the Teatro Amazonas later attracted me to Manaus.




I attended La Universidad Catolica del Uruguay in Montevideo where I studied a Portuguese language class (yeah! :), the History of Uruguay, Uruguayan Literature (very interesting and absolutely beautiful poetry, short stories, and novels), and an Anthropology class. Spanish and Anthropology were my majors in college. I did not want to miss out on my credits for my majors, as well as my minor in International Studies, so I made sure to keep myself on track in this aspect. Each of these classes was given in Spanish with the exception of the Portuguese class, taught by two Brazilian instructors, of which one still remains in contact with me today. My Spanish, which was already quite good, improved immensely and I even acquired the distinct Uruguayan accent. I had friendly, openhearted, and fun housemates. I made friends at school and with other international students, I dated a Uruguayan, and really got to travel like I never had before. It was an unforgettable, exciting time in my life.


I took a ceramics art class that I found through the university, I volunteered at a local English language institute (even participating in a workshop), I traveled to Buenos Aires a couple of times and around Uruguay with friends and housemates, and went shopping often. The exchange rate at the time was definitely in my favor, and as I had earned a scholarship prior to my departure, I think that my plane ticket only cost me $100. During my stay in Uruguay I visited Brazil twice - Porto Alegre and Rio de Janeiro - and this is where my love for that country grew. I learned how to make mate like a Uruguayan and my appetite for meat and Italian food also increased. 


I will always hold a special place for Uruguay and its citizens in my heart. I believe that I became even more independent during my semester study abroad in the Southern Cone and on a personal note I know for a fact that I grew as an individual. 


Uruguay, siempre te voy a querer mucho.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com