Sunday, June 19, 2011

Cochabamba, Bolivia

Finding a gorgeous, exemplary photograph of the city of Cochabamba was not an easy feat, considering there are numerous pictures that I found on-line that show what a majestic place this city is, which is tucked deep inside the Andes Mountains in South America. 


I've briefly mentioned before about my stay in Cochabamba, but only in passing. I believe that the truth behind what this city can offer deserves it's own introduction. I can only hope that others will adventure off into the unknown like I did once I had graduated from high school. I know I cannot do it justice, but I can recommend for EVERYONE to adventure out and discover this gem of a city - well, a country. Everything was wonderful - the people!!, the food, the music, the culture, the ancient traditions, the languages, the dress, the weather in Cochabamba is considered the most perfect in the world (I'm not lying), the parties, and all the while the country will welcome you with open arms and take good care of you.


It all began in my junior year at my relatively large high school in upstate New York. Our school announcements were during 2nd period and I was used to listening to them, not paying too much attention once I had sat down after pledging allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. Until one day. I heard the question - would you be interested in being an exchange student in another country? The answer previous to that day had always been "no". Although I was attracted to foreign cultures and language, I had never thought about being an exchange student myself. In fact, I didn't even find the idea of anyone being an exchange student impressive or "cool". So what happened that morning? I don't know. I'm still unsure. Whatever it was, the announcement either made studying abroad sound attractive, or it was exactly what I needed at that time in my life; I like to think it was the latter. I needed to get out of that town in upstate NY and discover the world, or at least one country in one area of the world.


From what I remember, I had from the end of my junior year until the first semester of my senior year to make a decision as well as apply. I do remember really wanting to complete my application, but I was also applying to colleges, looking for scholarships, taking the SATs, and other responsibilities that high school upperclassmen on their way to college have to accomplish. I was really stressed out from my school load and other activities (and responsibilities) in the beginning of my senior year and I almost didn't apply. That would have been the mistake of a lifetime. With the help and support of my parents (my stepdad had been a drummer in a band that traveled with the Army and my mother had had the dream of being a flight attendant when she was younger) as well as a prominent judge in my town, who is a Rotarian, I did apply. I wanted to get a scholarship from the Rotary Club Exchange Student program. And I did. 


I distinctly remember that we were asked at the time of completing our application which were our top ___ choices as to our destination, being reminded that we were not guaranteed to be sent to the country of our picking. Needless to say, Bolivia was at the bottom of my list; I didn't know anything about the country except that it was in South America and the official language (well, at least one of them I later found out) is Spanish. My first choice was Spain because as a 16-year-old studying high school Spanish, I knew for a fact that in Spain people speak Spanish. Somehow, NOT to my surprise, I was told I'd be studying abroad in Bolivia. I felt that I knew I was going to be sent there and I was not disappointed. Although I had not adventured farther than Canada, Texas, and Florida, I was up for the challenge. I accepted my scholarship and was on my way to Cochabamba in August of that year.


Rotary was wonderful! Not only are they a worldwide organization working to make a difference through service and fellowship, they offer young people the opportunity of a lifetime. And that is exactly what it is. I absolutely LOVED my time abroad; it changed my life. I would not have changed my major from Speech Language Pathology (which is what I had planned to study at a particular SUNY school where I had deferred my entrance for a year) to Anthropology and Spanish at an even better, more prestigious SUNY school. I would not have gotten a minor in International Studies, or studied abroad in Uruguay, or worked abroad in Peru, or worked in Brazil as an EFL teacher - meaning I would never have chosen the profession I have today or have married the man I did. That one, seemingly small, decision affected everything I've done in my life. Amazing if you ask me.


And of course I had more fun in Bolivia than I knew what to do with. I won't go too much into details because it was a fabulously exciting ten months and I couldn't possibly put into words all that I saw or did, but I can try to sum it up....maybe...I lived with two open, kind families (5 months each - that's the Rotary way), I had an additional family to support me!, I went to a fantastic school where I was able to make lifelong friends and learn Spanish. I had graduated from high school by the time I went to Bolivia, so I just attended high school to attend (best decision ever - to go after high school versus during). Plus, with their school years being opposite ours in the North, I wasn't actually in school that much; but I still liked it. The teachers and students were unforgettable. I was given $50/month which was fantastic seeing as Bolivia is an extremely inexpensive country to live in, and of course my food/board/schooling was all paid for. I also had money saved up and my parents didn't even need to give me money until the end. I traveled all around the country, eating, sightseeing, smelling, experiencing a COMPLETELY different, exciting world. I even visited Machu Picchu and Cusco in Peru.


Tiwanaku, Bolivia
If there is ANYONE out there who is considering this opportunity (I hope this gets to you, or send it to someone you know) then TAKE it. Don't hesitate. A friend of mine who graduated with me took advantage of this and studied in Argentina at the same time that I was in Bolivia and I know it changed his life, too. Rotary tells you at their numerous pre-departure workshops/weekend trips (which are well organized, informative, and exactly what a high school student needs) that you will mature in one year as much abroad as you would have one year in the U.S. This is true. When I returned I was ready to focus on my studies and take life much more seriously. I am grateful to my parents, to Judge Rose for his support and encouragement, to my family and friends, and especially to Rotary for this experience. 


And of course, THANK YOU Bolivia for all of the memories and love that you have given me. I am a better person today because of you. I will always respect and love you,


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com