Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day to my stepdad and my mom!




Father's Day is not just for all of the fathers out there. Let's be real, it doesn't take much to become a biological father. And when I say "father" I'm referring to the fact that you have fathered (let's just say it, made) a child. It doesn't mean you've taken care of your child. You were half of the equation in forming a child. For some men that could be less than a minute. BUT it takes a REAL man to become a DADDY. Those are the men that are appreciated today and every day. 


Today we celebrate the men out there who deserve to be thanked, those who have made a difference because you have supported and encouraged your children. You have nurtured and loved, given advice, spent time and energy, been a role model, and raised your children to be the best that they can be. And the caveat that I should have started with is that I may have gotten the terms confused as to whether I should be using father or dad to refer to those who have children. It's not the word that matters; it's what the man did, or didn't do, for his children and for their mother in most cases.


What I don't want to do is whine about deadbeat dads (i.e. mine). I want to celebrate and thank the men out there, like my stepdad, who have taken on the responsibility to help raise and mold responsible, honest, hardworking, successful, good children/teenagers/adults. I believe that to raise someone else's child is especially admirable. That's what my stepdad did. My parents had a nasty divorce (thanks to the man) and it was all very distressing and difficult for us all - my sisters and I'm sure for my mother even more. Now you already know how fabulous she is, and of course she never failed us nor showed any weakness throughout the years. So today's Father's Day is for her, too, because she was a mother AND a father to my sisters and me for a number of years.


Therefore, this Father's Day I'd like to honor both my stepdad (for taking care of us and being our father figure from our teenage years on - and we know how tough that is) and my mother for all she has done, and continues to do, for us. And by us I don't just mean my sisters and me. My stepdad (even after all of these years it's difficult to say the word "dad") has become a father to my fatherless husband as well. And my mother has become a "mama" to him. I'm not just grateful for this; I'm truly touched. We're blessed. 


Today, and everyday, I want to commemorate the lives of two important people in our lives - my parents. My real parents. The mother and father that everyone wishes they had, or are grateful that they have. Thank you to my parents for encouraging me, supporting me (financially and emotionally), helping to make me the person that I am today. Thank you for raising me right, for never pressuring me to be someone I'm not, or to do something I didn't want to. Thank you for guiding me and loving me and missing me when I'm gone. And for letting me choose my path in life. 


Thank you father and mother for accepting my husband as if he were your son. Thank you for calling him son and making him feel like he has a real family, not just in the United States, but in the world. We love you unconditionally and cannot wait to see you in a few days!


Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com