Saturday, January 29, 2011

Freelance Translator? Yes, please.


I've been interested in translation/interpretation since I was in high school. In fact, during my freshman year I took a sign language (night!) class with a bunch of old ladies to improve what I'd already started to learn from hearing impaired friends. At that time, I was certain that I wanted to study Speech Language Pathology while in college, and then later become an interpreter for the deaf - as my profession. However, my first study abroad experience to South America put me in a new, different direction - but only towards translation versus interpretation.

I still am fascinated with sign language, interpretation for the deaf, closed captions - you name it. I just don't know if at this time I'll pursue that career.



Instead.............I'm more interested in (freelance) translation.



I took my first translation course in my third year of college and I have enjoyed it ever since. I continued to study translation during my undergraduate years as well as participate in a translation/localization workshop the summer after I graduated (right before I moved to Manaus to teach). Most of my experience has been with non-literary work; I translate Brazilian Portuguese ->English and Latin American Spanish ->English. I also have extensive experience with proofreading and editing, of which most of those documents are written by non Native English speakers from Latin America.

So, why get back to translation/interpretation after the long hiatus, you ask? Well, I've always loved this profession (anything language/linguistics related) and now that I'm returning to Brazil, I think I'll have more opportunities to do what I love, and hopefully be well paid and respected for it. I mean, I started interpreting back in 2000 when I was living in Bolivia. I continued with it by taking undergraduate and graduate courses, and then got paid to translate while in Brazil in 2005. I've done extensive interpretation (and to some extent translation) since E arrived so that's given me a great deal of practice and has reminded me where my heart has always been. I think now it's time to get paid, and maybe add a second career. Also, just the other day I was reading a blog by a fellow translator, an American travelling back and forth between Brazil, who wrote an informative post on being a freelance translator and so I've decided to take the plunge.

Since I read that blog just days ago, I've update my resume and have applied for many jobs - both paid and unpaid. Now I guess I just have to wait and see what happens. But I'm hopeful and believe I could eventually have a career change, if not another job that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com