Tuesday, January 11, 2011

There is no grad school in Brazil


Don't believe everything you read. For example, the title of this post. There are graduate schools and programs in Brazil. A lot. But none for me! I am beyond excited that I will be graduating this semester and that I will never have to do this again - grad school + a stressful job. It's hard. Really hard. (But it was worth it).

It's taking me 2.5 years to finish my Master's since I work full time. I've taken 2 classes a semester and even a class over the summer (for 2 summers) in order to complete my program in the shortest time possible. I was aiming for 2 years, but what's one more semester?

I am feeling a little bit of relief as I begin my final semester at UCF, but at the same time, I have to take my comprehensive exams in April so that means a lot of studying and added pressure because I HAVE to pass them. Which I will. I'm taking a semester long class to prepare me to succeed and I have a number of resources to help me study. And of course, wonderful classmates.

But you see, it's not just graduate school that stresses me out. It's my job. In fact, E called me today after work and when I answered the phone he asked me what was wrong. What was my response? "A mesma merda" (the same sh*t). Different day. It's not necessarily the school or my job, but working in general. You all know. You have a job. Maybe even a stressful job. But in my case I can talk to my husband and we can remind each other that we only have 5 months left. We can put up with our jobs for 5 more months. Can't we? (we ask ourselves)



Don't get me wrong. I love being a teacher. LOVE it. But it's stressful. Public school teaching, especially in Title 1 schools, is not for the faint of heart. I'm strict, and I can be fun (and funny), and my students generally like me, so it does work itself out in the end. But I'm ready for a change, and on that note, I am looking forward to working at a small, private school where education is valued in the homes of the students. I don't want to have to deal with the state dictating every move I make or every decision either.

I am also really looking forward to having some freedom as to what (novels) I can teach and to have smaller classes so I can do more with my students. I'm especially interested in the bilingual aspect of the school, even if I will only be teaching in English. As an Anthropologist (even if just in my mind and on my undergraduate diploma), working at an international school should be fun and I am excited about that.  

Only 5 more months of work and 6 more months in the United States and I'll be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com