Sunday, January 16, 2011

What a Workout! Latin Cardio Dance



Phew. Seriously, what a workout. Which of course is a good thing for me because frankly I don't enjoy exercising very much, but God and everyone else knows that I really need to get into shape. I've found that group classes are not only the best workouts for me, but can also be fun and make the time fly (which is what I need). I can't stand sitting on a bike or walking on a treadmill watching the seconds go by as I think about everything and anything because I'd rather be anywhere else but on that machine. But I need to be there. At the gym. Plus, I should get into the habit of working out since I'll be doing more of it in Brazil. That's the beauty of me living abroad. I've always lost weight, gotten into shape, and made positive changes in my diet and lifestyle. This may be unique to Latin America. I don't know, but whatever it is, I'm grateful. If I were to make a list of pros and cons of living abroad, health/diet would definitely be at the top of my "pro" list. I truly believe that living in Brazil will make me a healthier, and therefore happier, person. Why not start now?

So, I recently joined the Y and I feel good about my decision. Forget the other large gyms that everybody knows of, GG and PF, and all the meat heads that go there to work out and scope out anything in the gym with a T and an A. I don't want to be there. I just asked myself, where would the guys from Jersey Shore work out? At the Y? No. Ok, then that's the right place for me. Even though a friend of mine told me (when I told her I joined the Y) "...where old people get naked!". Oh well, I'll just turn a blind eye to them when I'm in the dressing room - or avoid it all together. Anyway, I've digressed. I first started out working out on the machines to burn calories and strengthen my muscles; but recently I've started making the transition to join some cardio classes. I regularly visit two Ys; one is closer to home and the other is blocks away from where E trains. I like having the option because they offer different classes at different times and each one offers something that the other does not.

Today's Latin Cardio Dance class was at the gym near my home and it was a great workout; I'm now looking forward to my next group (cardio) class. The "students" in the class I took this morning ranged from white women in their 20s up to their 70s, old Asian men, middle aged Guyanese women, and a Muslim woman dressed in a hijab. Everyone was there. Even a man who looked like he should play basketball for Orlando Magic. We all got a workout. We all were Latino for an hour.  Few of us (not me of course) had rhythm. All in all the class was very entertaining as all of the adults tried to salsa. I was a sweating fool by the end of class and I felt great when I left. I can only hope for similar classes at the gym I'll frequent while in Brazil.

Liked I said, working out and eating healthy are two habits for many people in Brazil, and I hope to jump on board. I try in the United States, but either there are either too many temptations or it's not a general habit of Americans to be healthy. Or maybe it's both? Then again, maybe it's just my lack of motivation because I was raised in a home where eating healthy was taught to us by our mother so I know what to do. As an adult  I'm married to man who LOVES to work out. He actually made a career out of it. Hopefully all of this influence will keep me on track with my work outs and healthy eating habits.

Ah, yeah. I also need to mention to anyone who saw my comment about these shoes:

Vibram Five Fingers


They are NOT ideal for aerobics, cardio dance, or any other group class; they ARE good for yoga, pilates, capoeira, and other activities at the gym besides running on the treadmill. I recommend them but please wear your Nikes to run in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com