Friday, January 28, 2011

Memoirs of a Professional MMA Fighter's Wife

I am one proud fighter's wife. I love that my husband has found something that he LOVES in life (besides me of course), and that he is good at it. Actually, more than good. He's able to train, fight, and get paid. Sponsors give him clothes, people recognize his talent.

I may have to put up with the STENCH of dirty/sweaty/wet training clothes, jock straps, mouth guards, boxing gloves, etc. But it's all worth it, especially when I watch the World Extreme Fighting (WEF) 2011 Promo video - for the March fights -and see him TEN times training and fighting in the ring. Check him out. The best is 1:24 when he is smiling with his mouth open after a win by submission and saying "yeahhh". Rear naked choke to be specific.




People, especially women, ask me all the time if I get nervous when he fights in the ring. I can say that in the beginning I did. During his first fight I thought my heart was going to beat itself out of my chest, but it didn't. I believe he won't get hurt and that he is in good hands with the ref, judges, and the doctors. He does not street fight. The Florida State Boxing Commission has strict rules and guidelines and fighters must pass multiple tests and exams (including blood tests - HIV, Hepatitis, etc - to guarantee that they are safe in the ring. Fighters must be examined by doctors on a regular basis as well as at the weigh-ins the evening before their fight. So, do I worry? No, not anymore.

Another advantage to being a professional fighter is that you can teach MMA (mixed martial arts) along with fighting. So my husband will be able to teach when we move to Brazil, as well as fight.

I am proud of my husband and all that he has accomplished in what has really been a short time. I hope that his hard work will continue to pay off and that he will be able to fight professionally as long as he wants to. I want him to continue earning stripes on his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu belt and I know that he will be awarded his brown belt this year. I know that he will continue to participate in BJJ tournaments and will continue to win. I also pity the fools that enter the ring to fight him.
Take down
Ground and Pound

Muay Thai

Bilingual Interview


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com