Thursday, January 27, 2011

PAWsport for kitty




The adults are not the only ones preparing to ship off to Brazil; the kitty gets to go, too. People always ask me if I'm going to take my cat, which isn't such a weird question when even MORE people ask me if my husband is going. Um, YES. Why the hell not? I mean, are people serious? They must be because this is a common question that I get asked when I share my news of moving/teaching abroad.

Yes, the cat, my cat, my baby Sebastian (or Sebastião since I wanted my "son" to have a name easily pronounced in Portuguese) is going to Brazil. And he's excited! Tells me every day. E likes to make jokes that he won't be able to communicate with his neighbors (the cats, that is) because he "speaks" English, but I'm sure he's bilingual. After all, we do speak to him in Portuguese as much as we do in English. I don't know why or how but that's how it works.

Kitty doesn't need a passport, but he does need to be OKed by the Brazilian consulate 10 days before moving. The consulate's website reads:

International Health Certificate for Pets (dogs and cats only) issued by veterinarians must be certified by the USDA (US Department of Agriculture). The International Health Certificate must show that the pet identified was examined by a veterinarian in the ten days prior to shipment, not showing any clinical sign of disease


However, when I do a little bit more research it seems that Sebastian needs to have all of his papers in order, as well as his recent visit to a veterinarian. According to AngloINFO, a Brazilian website, we will also need:



  • A certificate of vaccination against rabies for any animal over 90 days old (obtained 30 days before entry in the case of animals vaccinated for the first time). This must be valid for at least one year



  • Proof of owners full name and address including state and country




  • Documents showing the animals name, breed, gender, size, colour, coat and any other specific markings




  • Copies of all relevant documents for animals imported as cargo



  • Fair enough. Not too complicated or expensive.

    It's funny how E and I have grown to love this cat and think of him almost as a "son" when I promise you we never thought before that that could happen. I mean, what's not to love?
    
    When we first got him

    And distract his mommy from her school work
    
    Sleeping beauty

    He loves to watch TV, especially Animal Planet

    Watching "Garfield"

    Mommy's boy

    Doing research on-line
    Sebastian
    

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    My Ping in TotalPing.com