Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu



Brazilian jiu jitsu is an interesting sport. It's one that I had never been exposed to until I first watched my husband grapple years ago. According to Wikipedia, it "is a martial art, combat sport, and a self defense system that focuses on grappling and especially ground fighting. The art was derived from the Japanese martial art of Kodokan judo in the early 20th century."

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or BJJ, looks most like wrestling, though I understand that they are two different sports.

The sport requires that athletes are in top condition, that they are dedicated and tough, and frankly, they should L-O-V-E it. I believe that BJJ can be good for a person's soul. Those athletes that are very serious about the sport, whether amateurs or professionals, tend to become very involved in the sport and spend hours at the gym - on a weekly basis. They simply enjoy training, martial arts, the (extreme) conditioning, and I'd say everything that goes with it.

I'm pleased and proud that E has found something that he is so passionate about, and that he has a talent for. I never thought that I'd be interested in a such a sport. I remember when I was a kid my male cousins used to make fun of wrestling saying that it's just a couple of half naked guys rolling in the floor together. But I can see now that BJJ is much more. And I've seen a lot in the past few years.




Brazilian Jiu Jitsu may look funny when in training, slow motion, or in pictures (see above), but it is without a doubt a combat sport. And it's good for you, too. Since my husband is a professional athlete, part of his being in top (health) condition means taking care of himself; he rarely even drinks alcoholic beverages. The sport also gives guys and girls something to be a part of, and it's a healthy alternative to other activities so I'm supportive of my husband's involvement in martial arts.

I'm glad to have the opportunity to continue to learn about BJJ and MMA (mixed martial arts), and to be a supportive wife. I also think it's fun that E gets to train with famous fighters and "big names" in the sports. And it's funny how much I've come to like these aggressive sports and how much I actually want to watch the fights.

Here are a few more pictures that I have taken of E's training. (I took most of the two pictures above):



After beating a guy much bigger than him



Training mask

MMA






BJJ

Thanks to those that have sponsored him in his career - NewBreed, Dead Game, and Orange County Fitness & Sports.

Check out the next BJJ and/or MMA tournament or fight in your area. Support mixed martial arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com