Wednesday, April 13, 2011

People really care



I know that people care, but it's great to hear it. It made me smile, for example, to hear my mother tell me last night that the guest bedroom is made up at her house for us - and we won't be there for another 2 and 1/2 months. But as E said, she's anxious about our arrival. We're excited to see family as well.

I have a great relationship with my family and they LOVE my husband. I'm glad the plane tickets are bought already, and that we will be able to spend time with everyone - my parents, sisters (minus one :(, brother-in-law, NIECES, and even grandparents! I'll also get to visit with my best friends that live near my parents. I can't wait to see everyone! And in the summer...upstate New York in the summer should be nice.

With that being said, I know it'll be sad to say "goodbye", or "see you later" (which it will be). It made me sad when my (step)dad told me the other week that he didn't want me to go to Brazil. I know, but I gotta....

Along with telling my family and friends and my administrators that I'm leaving, I've begun telling my colleagues at work and even some of my students. You see, as teachers we always have at least one class that really tries us. I really like the students in this class, and have told them that many times, but they are not good students. Maybe it's the age, maybe it's the subject, maybe it's because they're either ALL friends or they're enemies to the 10th power, or that the class is right after lunch (I think that this is a major factor), but those kids are not interested in figurative language, or any other subject in English for that matter. As I was reading them the riot act last week, I told them that I'm moving to Brazil next year. Their response was great because I could tell that apart from being very interested and curious, they were disappointed that I won't be returning to the school next year. I was absent the following day and six of the girls went looking for me in another teacher's classroom before the bell rang. I think they may have thought I had left already. That's touching.

They're not the only ones either. Of course I feel bad when I hear my students say that they want me to stay - even though I won't be their teacher next year. They want to stop by and say "hi" on their way to their 10th grade English class. Me too, kids. But I have to move on with my life and do what's best for me and my family. I think they understand. Or at least I hope so because I don't want to feel guilty. I'm not abandoning my students, I just got a good job offer in a country where I want to live.

My co-workers are also supportive, and some maybe a bit jealous (in a good way). I'm trying to plant the seed in a few of them, too. I mean, who doesn't want to move to another job to teach?
Of course people are curious and want to know more. I've also realized that people seem to only take me seriously when I tell them that I got a job.

My students have lots of questions, some even funny. One student asked me "are there black people in Brazil?" Hey, it's a teachable moment. I'm also asked if I speak Brazilian, Spanish, and Portuguese (from the better "educated" students of course :). Overall, even the students that are going to miss me, seem to be excited about the opportunity and it's fun to talk about.

It's nice to know that people care and will miss you, because they're not the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com