Sunday, April 10, 2011

Busy busy busy busy bee



I really enjoy blogging (although if you had asked me 1-2 years ago I would have adamantly answered "No way" to just the idea of creating a blog). However, I've really enjoyed these past few months of blogging ,and have just been so busy over the past week that I haven't been able to find the time, or energy, to focus on doing so. And I've missed it.

The real reason why I haven't written anything is probably because I'm tired of reading, studying, and writing for grad school, that I didn't have the strength to do it for fun here.

I even fell a bit behind at work, and just this morning made time to catch up. Graduate school and a full time teaching job (in a tough public school) would wipe anyone out. Even the strongest and most resilient of us.

As for everything and anything Brazil related, I have been working on that. I still need to pick up my visa from the consulate, but am working on figuring out a date to go sometime this month. I don't want to wait too long; plus, I'll feel better once the visa is in my passport.

As I noted last week, I have found the office where we can apply for our International Driver's Permits and I checked on the status of my CPF (the equivalency of our SSN?). Glad to say that my CPF is "regular" so no problems with that. I have also been made aware of how to change my surname on my CPF in Brazil, and how to register our marriage once we get there. Check. Check.

I have also organized some boxes (for the day when I eventually go to the post office to request about media mail), threw away more unwanted papers, and donated books and clothes. I've also contacted the interested buyers that have shown interest in one of our household items that I've advertised for on-line. I want to sell those so I can see more of what we're taking.

We've also been making decisions on banking options here and in Brazil. I'm grateful to my mom for allowing us to forward our mail to her and helping us out with the bank situation in the U.S.

And of course, we need to plan ahead on what needs to be taken care of once we arrive in Brasilia so we don't get too caught up in our move/arrival and forget the important details.

Some things to think of when you move to Brazil. This list refers to what I need to get done, but could be helpful to others:

1. As mentioned previously, register with the closest embassy/consulate. In our case, that'd be the American embassy in Brasilia. On a side note, I wonder if any of my students will be children of diplomats?

2. Register our marriage in Brazil

3. Change my name on my CPF

3. Visit the Federal Police in order to get my Brazilian identification (which I know could take months). It took me 4 months last time I lived in Brazil

4. Find a dentist. I have visited a dentist here and have made appointments for a cleaning and such, but I don't have much time left, and my dental insurance is not all that good, so some things will have to wait for Brazil. Plus, E wants to get braces

5. Take care of E's documents. Not sure where to start with this (but I'm sure E will). I mean, he hasn't lived in Brazil for more than 4 years and he's moving to a new state. Will he need a new national ID? That's the kind of stuff to take care of

I could add on to this list. I mean, I'll need to find a local, good salon where I can get my manicures and pedicures :)...etc etc. I'd say, though, that the above list is a good place to start. I know that my future employer will help us out, and of course we'll do a lot of exploring on our own (with the help of the Brazilians that we know who are living in Brasilia).

Sounds like a lot of work, and it'll keep us busy busy as bees, but it's an adventure and that's what I love most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com