Friday, April 15, 2011

I WANT MY MTV!

 
      What's up kids?! In case you were wondering, the answer is "YES!" I am the only blogger with the stones to kick things off with some Dire Straits and expect you to stick around! You gotta admit, that drum solo is pretty bitchin'... Do you remember MTV? I pose this question because anyone who is my age, or possibly a little younger, knows that there is a station on you local satellite or cable provider's program guide that is CALLED MTV...but they also know that's not MTV. I'm talking about MTV back before our society became enthralled with garbage reality shows like 'Jersey Whore', 'Not Another Teen Mommy', 'Bret Michaels' Isn't a Dude', etc..
       Everyone is constantly clamoring to be entertained while networks are trying even harder to find the next cash grab. I have to think that some of these hot shot network execs have figured out by now that everything  in the media is just a flash in the pan these days. Consumerism killed the real MTV. I don't much feel like giving out an economics lesson, but think about it. When MTV showed music videos during the day, and sprinkled in some late night programming here and there, they had to be profitable. Right? I know times change, but I refuse to be made to feel like an old fart for not accepting the way things are. I'm 26 not 75, and the fact remains that I would rather see MTV completely stripped down, given a new name, and never acknowledge it's former glory as opposed to continuing to watch it's legacy be flushed down the toilet.

I am no more an advocate of violence against women than I am of Jersey Shore, but I feel like she might have had this one coming...

        I cannot, for the life of me, name five shows on MTV today, and it's because everything they show nowadays is complete refuse. I saw on Facebook this morning in a friends status that MTV actually shows music videos at 6:00 in the morning. I supposed the reason is that there just isn't much of a market for music videos anymore. Even if an artist comes out with a good one, there are about 700 shitty ones to go along with it. Take this one for example...


          Something just occurred to me as I watched that (I posted it more for me than you..Sorry). Rather than sitting around whining on my blog about the good old days of music videos, I could take you for a stroll down memory lane for some of the reasons why I believe they should have just left MTV alone and kept the reality shows on VH-1. I'm pretty sure they are owned by the same company.
          At one point in my life I believed that music videos were the pinnacle of entertainment. My friends and I enjoyed them because they were always so versatile. Whether a video was funny, scary, thought-provoking, or just a live performance, they were great because there was almost always something for everyone, and if you didn't like the one that was on, all you had to do was wait for 3-4 minutes and it would make way for the next one. Eventually, MTV would resort to what seemed like a 50/50 split between commercials and actual videos, and then they even went so far as to cut the videos short so they'd have time for (drum roll please) you guessed it! MORE ADVERTISING!! It's no wonder people started to get sick of the shows on MTV that were supposed to be giving us our latest act to check out or cd to out. At just about the time we started to care what was on the screen again, they'd cut to another commercial.
          Here's my big idea. I always wanted to be a VJ. Russell Brand admits to being completely wasted for most of his time on MTV, and I'm fairly certain that I have more viewers on TroxTalk than Carson Daly does on Last Call, so let's do this! TROX REQUEST LIVE! Was your homework assignment for today. You guys sent me the music videos that you've missed seeing, and I compiled a one-stop-shop for you to get your throw back on. Uncut and commercial free.




 

 


























            That about wraps up the first ever Trox Request Live video block. Before you ask, it did start with "This is how we do it" and end with "BYE BYE BYE" for a reason. You figure it out. I hope there was a little something for everyone in there! Did it bring back some memories? This was about the most fun post I could ever imagine, so we'll probably do it again sooner than later. I can personally guarantee that at least 7 of you will end up on TroxTalk bumping these videos while you're partying with your friends at some point this weekend. Drop me a line in the comments or email trox@troxtalk.com if you want to make some suggestions for next time. Follow the blog on twitter @troxtalk. Until next time. Keep it real. 

                                                               Warmest Regards,

                                                               Trox

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com