Tuesday, March 29, 2011

All I want to do is see a dentist



Visiting the dentist has always brought back memories from my childhood, and not because of the actual dentist, but of the actual visit itself. See, I have one of those, what do you call it...? Oh yeah, deadbeat dads. You know, those that "fall behind" on child support, that can't seem to make it work amicably with their children's mother, even after hurting her for so many years. Well, I have one of those. So what was his job after the divorce? To put us on his dental insurance and pay for our visits. Easy, right? Well, since he is a deadbeat, then by definition, he is not a responsible man and did not do his job (nor did he pay for child support, but that is a whole different ball game).

As a result of his irresponsibility, it was always a struggle for my already overworked, yet FABULOUS, mother. It was like every time I needed to visit the dentist (or orthodontist), I was reminded that he did not fulfill his duty and my mother was going to have to pay for our visits. She NEVER complained or bad talked him (I don't know why), but I understood, even as a kid, that this was beyond what she should have done for me and my sisters. I also could tell that he had not done his job and that she would have to pay for our dental care on a payment plan. Thinking about this, after all of these years, almost brings tears to my eyes.

As time has gone on and I've grown up, it's not something that I think about very often, unless the dentist appointment does not go well.

Today, for instance, I had to do the run around with my insurance company while searching for a new dentist since I had to switch dental insurance companies with my job switch and my dentist does not accept my new plan. It's just a pain in the butt. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful to have dental insurance that not only covers me, but my spouse as well, but it's still annoying. It's not only that I can't visit my old dentist, but apparently I can't choose the dentist that I want to because my insurance has already done that work, and to switch dentists takes over a month. Really? Is that necessary? Apparently the dental insurance company assigns you to a dentist and although you can switch, I was told today that that switch would take place on May 1st. How convenient. So, I finally settled with a dentist chosen by my insurance and was relieved to hear that tomorrow's appointment would be covered by them.

I told E the other day that I was going to have my teeth cleaned and asked him if he wanted me to make an appointment for him, too. His reply was, guess what... "No, I'll do it in Brazil".  If I didn't have dental insurance and/or if it weren't cheap or could wait a few months, I'd do the same thing. I've found that medical care in Brazil is much better than the U.S. It's A LOT less expensive, and you know that because of the competition to get into medical school that your dentist is probably going to be one of the best, if not at least was the best student.

I lived in Manaus for a year and was sure to visit every doctor there that I could. I had just graduated from college and had my first job. I probably should make the doctors' visits that I had neglected during my fabulous college years.

I had insurance through UNIMED and paid about R$77/month (that must have been roughly $35 with the exchange rate at that time). I got new glasses and even had minor, non intrusive surgery. I was taken very well care of. The doctors sat down and talked to me, were polite, courteous, and of course I don't remember ever being left with a large medical bill because let's face it, I wasn't. I even got really sick once, with the flu I think, and spent more time waiting for the bus to get to the hospital than in the hospital's waiting room. Granted it was a private hospital, but the service was quick and easy and I soon returned to my healthy self after being taken care of.

I may have bad memories of visiting dentists when I was child, but I have "fond" memories of visiting doctors in Brazil. My husband is looking forward to the inexpensive, good care in Brazil, as am I. He wants braces and we both just want to be well taken care of.

I hope the doctors in Brasilia are ready for us because we're arriving.... after living in a country where medical care is not at the top of the list of what's important for the government to provide for its citizens.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com