Friday, March 4, 2011

Old, raggedy clothes


I've decided not to buy new clothes until soon before I leave for Brazil. Maybe it's OCD of me, or maybe it's because I want to ensure that I have new clothes before I move abroad. Or maybe it's out of habit. See, I always buy new clothes and/or make sure my clothes are relatively new and have just been washed before I pack for an extended trip abroad, whether it be a semester away or a cruise to the Caribbean. I just like it that way.

This time is no different.

My husband and I are making mental lists of what we want to take with us, and what we'll leave behind, and clothes are not any different. I've lived in Brazil before so I have an idea about what to expect as far as what to take and what not to take. I'm not very materialistic so I don't "worry" about buying all the Tommy Hilfiger clothes I can find. Actually, I'm more interested in the fit of my clothes, as well as the design. I prefer "American" jeans and since I'm tall and have larger feet than the average Brazilian woman, I need to keep these things in mind. Jean, check, sneakers and shoes, check.

In the meantime, I'm just going to wear the clothes that I already have (which are not really old nor raggedy). As a high school teacher, I'm not too restricted on what I can wear to work so that is not much of an issue. If I want to wear jeans and sandals then I can and I will. In addition, school is out in 12 weeks (not that anyone is counting), so after that I'll only being wear shorts, tank tops, and flip flops; therefore, it's not a big deal that I don't have new clothing yet.

Plus, if I am going to buy a bunch of items before I move, then why fill the house with clothes that I won't wear until I get to Brazil?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com