Saturday, March 12, 2011

People ask weird questions



I was rereading my blog entry about my husband's career choice and was reminded of the questions that people have asked me since I told them that I'm moving to Brazil this year. Some of their inquires are just strange. For instance...

1. Is your husband (E) going with you?
- Um, no...I'm going back to his country and he's going to stay here. (can you detect the sarcasm?). Really people?

2. You're taking your cat?
- Let's see...he's like a son to us, but we'll just abandon him when we move.

3. You're selling your cars?
- No, we're driving to Brazil.

4. Are you ever going to come back?
- Nope. I'm going into exile, never to return again.

5. Are you from Brazil?
- Do you think?


And if I really went back in my memory and thought of the questions people asked me when I first studied abroad in Bolivia I'd really have to laugh out loud. I remember someone asking me if Bolivia is in Eastern Europe. It's Bolivia, not BOSNIA.

I was also asked if I was going to speak Bolivian while living there (in South America). Makes sense, right?

And a not-so-funny question is while I'm in South America and talking to friends on messenger, they often ask me what time it is. If I reply "11 p.m." and it's 9 p.m. in New York, the next question may be, "in the morning?". I guess you can say that I never am ceased to be amazed.

And of course people ask me if Brazilians speak Portuguese. They've asked me if I'm going to forget English.

Lord have mercy.

PS: I'm sure I'll be able to add to my list of Brazil related questions as it gets closer to my departure date. I should start writing them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com