Thursday, March 17, 2011

Two Week Notice



Although I've known since the first weekend in December that I had the job in Brasilia, I decided it best not to tell my employer. I had a number of reasons for not saying anything, and I'm glad that I kept my mouth shut. In fact, I only confided in two of my fellow teachers who I knew I could trust.

Well, it's now been 3.5 months and the end of the school year is close upon us and I felt like it was the time to notify my bosses. I scheduled a meeting with them this week and although only one could make it, I let her know. This is my supervisor who I respect and have enjoyed working with this school year. In response to my news, she hugged me, told me she'd cry when I leave (and I've only been working there since August!!), and wished me luck. My "bigger" boss, the one who hired me, didn't react in the same way; it seemed like he took it personally, but he did offer to be a reference in the future so that was cool. And of course he also wished me well.

My two week notice, if you will, was given on Monday in person, by word of mouth. Today I received my letter of intent in my mailbox - like all of the other teachers. So I have now put in writing that I am resigning before the 2011-2012 school year. Feels good. Best decision I've made in years. However, I will miss the WONDERFUL, professional, supportive co-workers that I work with. But as we know, all good things must come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ping in TotalPing.com